Monday, December 24, 2007

McNamee testify at hearing

Clemens vehemently denied ever using performance-enhancing drugs, a claim initially made by McNamee in the Mitchell Report, but McNamee, the star pitcher's former trainer, maintained that he injected Clemens numerous times with steroids and human growth hormone.One of the two men essentially lied under oath to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, which could refer the matter as a criminal case to the US Justice Department."Somebody's not telling the truth today," said Representative Mark Souder. "It's better not to talk about the past than to lie about the past."McNamee revealed in the Mitchell Report that he injected Clemens with steroids and HGH at least 16 times between 1998 and 2001.Sporting a navy suit and red tie, Clemens continued to refute his former employee's allegations."I have never taken steroids or HGH," Clemens said. "No matter what we discuss here today, I am never going to have my name restored."With his reputation - and perhaps his personal freedom - at stake, Clemens stuttered during the early portions of the hearing, when he was questioned about sworn testimony provided by Andy Pettitte.Clemens' former teammate and training partner, Pettitte said in an affidavit that the seven-time Cy Young Award winner admitted to using HGH in a conversation which occurred 10 years ago.Rather than attacking Pettitte's testimony, Clemens danced around the issue, constantly saying that the New York Yankees lefthander "misremembered" the context of their conversation."Andy Pettitte is my friend," Clemens said. "He was my friend before this. He will be my friend after this. I think Andy has misheard - I think he misremembers our conversation."Clemens received mixed messages from the committee, some of whom offered backhanded words of praise. When Clemens said he was a forgiving person, Washington DC Democrat Eleanor Holmes Norton said, "Mr Clemens, I'm sure you're going to heaven."But Elijah Cummings, a Maryland Democrat, offered damaging commentary in the afternoon session of the hearing."It's hard to believe you, sir," Cummings said. "I hate to say that. You're one of my heroes. But it's hard to believe you."With his wife and attorneys seated behind him, Clemens was situated only one seat apart from McNamee in the same room which held the March 2005 hearing involving Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro and Jose Canseco.Wearing a grey suit and thin-framed glasses, McNamee claimed in his opening statement that he injected the star pitcher with performance-enhancing drugs more times than he originally claimed in the Mitchell Report."What I did was wrong," McNamee said. "I want to apologise to the committee and the American public for my conduct. I have helped taint the national pastime. I hope my testimony today helps me become part of the solution."

No comments: